Thursday, July 31, 2008

BLACK WOMEN AND FITNESS



EVERYONE KNOWS THAT I'M A WORKOUT MANIAC. IT'S A LIFESTYLE FOR ME AND I FEEL ILL WHEN I DON'T WORKOUT. I EXPECT MY SIGNIFICANT OTHER TO AT LEAST BE SOMEWHAT ACTIVE AND CONSCIENTIOUS ABOUT THEIR WELL-BEING. AT TIMES, I CAN MAKE BLACK WOMEN IN MY FAMILY UNCOMFORTABLE BECAUSE I'M ALWAYS STRESSING THE IMPORTANCE OF NUTRITION AND EXERCISE. BUT WATCH I'LL BE THE FIRST TO GO. ANYHOW, THERE ARE MANY REASONS OR JUST PLAIN LAZINESS TO WHY BLACK WOMEN DON'T DEDICATE THEMSELVES TO THE GYM. PERSONALLY, I THINK IT'S THE MEN FAULT, DUE TO THEIR LACK OF STANDARDS AND NOT HOLDING THESE WOMEN ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR SLOPPINESS, BUT THAT'S ANOTHER TOPIC. I CAME ACROSS THIS THREAD ON NT WHICH DISCUSSED REASONS WHY BLACK WOMEN DON'T WORK OUT AS MUCH AS THEIR COUNTERPARTS. SOMEONE POSTED THIS ARTICLE, AND I THOUGHT IT WAS AN EXCUSE, BUT MAYBE NOT FAR FROM THE TRUTH. READ ON!


EVERYBODY OUGHT to know by now that African-Americans tend to appreciate a fuller, curvier body.
In fact, I would say it's rare to find a black woman who aspires to be the next super-thin supermodel, a la Kate Moss.
Generous hips and a bootylicious derriere are cause for much celebration in black culture. Ironically, this also has become a trend in mainstream culture, with many non-blacks heading to the plastic surgeon to acquire a "Brazilian butt."
But when the question crops up - what is keeping black women out of the gym? - I don't think it's fear of losing their curves.
I believe the primary reason so many African-American women shy away from the gym is simple: fear of losing their hairstyle.
That's right. Maintaining their fly hairstyles keeps many sisters out of the gym and sadly keeps many black girls and teens from pursuing fitness, too.

When I was growing up, a press and curl was the customary style for young black girls. I would sit in a kitchen chair, trying to stay quiet and still while my mother patiently pressed my coarse, thick hair section by section.
It was not the most pleasant experience. I can remember burning my hand when I would impatiently touch my fried hair. After she was done with the last curl and had styled my straight 'do, my mother would caution, "Now don't sweat out your hair."
But as soon as I began to play or dance with any gusto I would start to sweat, and my cute little do would shrivel up and revert back to its natural state.

I never had swimming lessons as a child, and I'm sure that, too, was all about the hair.
Seemingly insignificant hair drama can be a potentially big problem for black women. If you spend several hours and $75 or more on your hair every week, you want that style to last at least a few days. But one spinning or step class could wipe out that $75 do in less than 20 minutes.

Time and time again, African-American woman will say to me, "Girl, I want to work out, but what can I do about my hair?"
Well, hair styles are an individual choice, but the good news is there are a variety of styles to choose from these days, including such natural styles as braids, sister locks, Afros, twists and wraps. For those who don't want to go natural, perms, wigs and weaves may offer some alternatives.

One thing's for sure: The press and curl is the least resilient style, and hot curling every day can cause some serious damage to your hair.
Ultimately, you and your stylist will have to decide what works best for you and your lifestyle. What I do know is this: We can no longer afford to put our hair above our fitness. Here's why:

_ Nearly 80 percent of black women in the United States are overweight or obese, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

_ Black women have higher percentages of diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, cancer and premature death, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

_ The average American woman is 5-foot-4 and wears a size 16, but a 2000 report by Ebony magazine found that the average African-American woman is a size 20.

Now, I'm not saying you can't enjoy an occasional soul-food platter. Sure you can. Just eat half of what you normally would and don't go back for seconds. Eating half portions is a good strategy for managing weight, but physical fitness is just as important.
Don't let your hairstyle prevent you from getting your workout and from living the vibrant, healthy, fit life you were meant to live. *

Kimberly Garrison is a certified personal trainer and owner of One on One Ultimate Fitness in Philadelphia (www.1on1ultimatefitness.com).

No comments:

My Blog List