Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Was that racist?

Most of us have had those "damn that was racist" moments. As a black man, I encounter these moments all the time. I come to the realization that it just comes with the territory, but sometimes I feel like people (non-minorities) make insinuations purposely. So today I'm out and some "professional white man" walks in and asks me "Are you here for the custodial job?" I wanted to say, no Muth*ucka, I hear for the cotton picking job. Honestly, a hundred responses ran through my head at that moment. Now what in the world would make people, not just white people, pass such judgment on a brotha? Is it the baseball cap, t-shirt, fitted jeans, white tube socks, or the air I'm breathing. My point is this, I don't look any different from the next person (male) walking down the street with the exception of skin color.

My group of friends are all educated (higher education degrees), but some of us still have to deal with this constant ignorant isht. We sure the hell don't perpetuate ignorance, but somehow we are subjected to it. I think I experience this bullcrap at least once a month. I don't walk around categorizing people based on their skin color, however others have a hard time doing the same. You would think with O'bama and other prominent black figures (other than athletes) in the public eye who are judge by their character and intelligence, people would eventually start to do the same. As we can see that is not the case. It's an unpleasant reality to know that even in 2008, people still have this "mental barrier" that prevents them from thinking that coloreds aren't capable of more than serving as entertainers. These "barriers" keep minorities in lower position, regardless of their qualifications.

I think Kanye said it best "You still a N' in a coupe" or with a degree..etc..

No comments:

My Blog List