Friday, January 30, 2009

Relationships, Careers, and Friends= Balance?



I told myself to write this blog a few days ago, but I'm so damn scattered brained at times. That being said, hopefully you'll be able to pick up where I was trying to go with it.


When you grow up, you have to find a great career, get married, have kids, and buy that house with the picket fences. I forget, you have to maintain an equilibrium with other aspects of your life. Is this equally possible?

I know right off the bat, you're thinking "Hell yes it's possible to balance all of them", however I beg to differ. With only 24 hours in a day, seven days in a week that doesn't leave much time for; showering, commuting, work, lunch, clocking out, working out, dinner, and spending time with your significant other. This is the assumption that there are no kids in your life right now. From my firsthand experience, I started to realize early that people started to focus their time on other "aspects" of their lives, and while I focused on trying to "hang out" all the time, people had their own personal agendas. I began to realize that the agendas for the most part didn't include my personal desires. Childhood friends began to have kids, people went off to college, and the military, and (insert other ambitions here).

I, too , was wrapped up in life and figuring things out, however,there was this one part of me that wanted to hold on to the days of yore when we didn't have any major responsibilities. I'll admit, I became frustrated at times. For the most part, there weren't any mutual friends where significant other's could join together, as people began to venture out and find new faces in different places to date. Now lets fast forward to my mid 20's. Regarding careers, some of us are lucky to find a career early that we could see ourselves in forever. But, most of us, that's not the case. It's probably not until you hit your mid-30's that you settle into your career. Now, back to relationships. I began to invest in post-high school long term relationships that required commitment, time, and patience; all which are consuming. In the meantime,I started becoming M.I.A like they did. I realized that I had not spoken to ( insert name) in X amount of weeks , even in the day of technology and social networks, etc. It seems nearly impossible at times to balance it all, and I have never since my days of seriously dating found myself spreading the time equally. Even when attempted to, it was confirmed that while I was trying to keep living those youthful times, people were keeping it pushing with their significant others. Perhaps they figure while your friends will always be around, what's MOST important is your significant other and working to build your own nest.

As I age, I constantly have these thoughts like, as much as I love my friends and family members, who's going to be there for me when I come home from having a bad day? I can't come home to my friends for many reasons, some aforementioned. Even family member fit into the category, because they are busy do them too. When your friends get older and have to make life decisions that effect their personal lives, are they going to make a decision considering your feelings? Or are they going to think about feeding their kids, paying bills, and buying that new car? This isn't high school anymore where people transfer to be with friends, and/or attend the same college. This is life! It was a hard pill for me to swallow, and I still at times don't want to fully digest it, but the saying goes something like, "Get to living YOUR life". And, as we get older that mostly pertains to building something special with a significant other, and investing in your future.

2 comments:

JOFre$h said...

Yo this was a damn good blog and you just inspired me to write one too. But life is crazy man I would never imagine that my life would be how it is now.

Sir Doe said...

Glad my blog inspired you. You got this blog thing down packed, I'm just trying to keep up with you; but I get lazy at times. Life is crazy, and unpredictable. This may sound cliche but you just got to keep doing what's best for you. Easy!

My Blog List